What are the benefits of vernix?
1. It has antimicrobial properties.
Recent studies have shown that vernix contains antimicrobial amino acids that block invasive bacteria present in the amniotic fluid from meconium contamination. After your baby is born, these amino acids work to protect against harmful bacteria such as B. streptococcus and E. coli.
2. Vernix has wound healing properties. Vernix has been shown to help with the quick regeneration of skin following a wound. In fact, the use of vernix in skin grafting the burn areas of burn victims is currently being investigated!
3. It moisturizes and hydrates your baby’s skin. Your baby’s skin undergoes immediate change following birth, including dehydration. Because of its high water content, vernix acts as a natural moisturizer for your baby, protecting its skin from dryness and cracking.
4. It helps newborns to maintain their body temperature, along with skin-to-skin that’s all they need. No requirement for a hat.
5. It lubricates the baby on it’s way through the birth canal